Thursday, January 24, 2008

my game store

My game store will always be Active Imagination in Albuquerque. Partly that's just 'cause I used to manage the place, but mostly it's 'cause it has a wider selection than any other game store I've been too. I GM RPGs, but I also really dig boardgames (especially cooperative ones), I collect miniatures, and used to judge Magic tournaments. I like a little bit of everything, so variety and depth are big deals for me. AI scored huge in that department.

I'm about to hop on a bus to pick up my copy of Scion: God at Golden Age Collectibles down by the market. It's a good store, but it's really a comic shop. I have Scion: God on reserve, and it turns out it's the only copy they ordered. Their gaming section is pretty small. The game section is 90% RPGs, with about 5 or 6 boardgames and a few CCGs to round it out. The rest of the store is Comics, Action Figures, Lovecraft Memorabilia, Movie Scripts, Posters, etc. Fun stuff, to be sure, but it's focus and mine aren't quite in sync. Yet it's my favorite "game" store in Seattle.

Speaking of Seattle, the game stores here are all overly-specialized. My other choices locally include Uncle's Games and Blue Highway Games, both of which focus on board games. Blue Highway doesn't even carry RPGs, and Uncle's pretty much just carries Wizards of the Coast RPGs. Games Workshop Store #174 is here as well, but it, as you'd expect, only carries GW stuff. The search for links to those shops turned up Gary's Games as well, which I haven't visited, but will have to sometime (next paycheck?). They are all in different directions from me, so I can't even get the "total package" fix by hitting multiple stores - doing so would take all day.

*Sigh* You never know how good you've got it till it's done and gone.

3 comments:

John Powell said...

Welcome to Seattle! Also check out The Dreaming in the University District, and Golden Age Collectibles at the Pike Place Market.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&q=The+Dreaming&near=Seattle,+WA&fb=1&view=text&latlng=47666998,-122313051,13198232734083902098

http://www.goldenagecollectables.com/

rbbergstrom said...

Thank you.

Been to Golden Age, and I love the store, though as I said it's mostly a comics and collectibles store, with just gaming on the side.

The Dreaming, huh? I'll have to go check it out.



Some other places came up in further web-searches today:

Gary's Games on Greenwood

Uroboros in Redmond.

Genesis Games & Gizmos in Redmond.

Game Spot in Woodinville.

Game Matrix in Lakewood

American Eagles Hobby Shop


Looks like I have some shopping and browsing to do the next couple weekends.

rbbergstrom said...

UPDATE: Since I posted this, I've grown quite fond of Gary's Games on Greenwood. Their selection is amazing.