Thursday, January 10, 2008

40k and the infinite to-hit roll

I used to play Warhammer 40k, back in the 2nd edition days (it's on 4th now). I love the setting, but eventually grew tired of the rules.

The main problem was all that countless die-rolling: I roll to hit, then I roll to really hit, then I roll to really really hit, then I roll to really really really hit. Then maybe I roll again.

Honestly, it's I roll to hit, then I roll to wound, then you make your armor save, then you make your forcefield save, then at least one of us rolls again due the complexities of some relevant power or piece of wargear, ...but the point is the same. 4 or more individual die rolls is too much for one attack in an RPG, let alone a minis game where you had 30 or more characters you were controlling.

And it got far worse with vehicles - roll to hit, roll to penetrate, roll for location/effect, which can lead to secondary explosions or hits on the crew which start you over again. The act of firing a heavy weapon at a Rhino APC could easily result in more than a dozen die rolls.

Supposedly, 3rd Ed of 40k fixed most of that. This, however, is not the tale I set out to tell. It's merely background, context, and pointless griping. I guess I'll start over again.

1 comment:

digital_sextant said...

I liked the game, but mostly the story, setting, and models.

Now, as I have no time to game, I just have a Christmas village.