Thursday, January 3, 2008

Social Stunts vs Social Tools

From something a tiny bit longer I posted over at the Scion Forums...

Combat Stunts: per the Scion:Hero RPG rulebook
I shoot him: no dice
Anything more colorful than “I shoot him”: 1 die
Using the scenery: 2 dice
Makes everyone say “wow”: 3 dice

So, for Social Stunts:
I pump him for information:
no dice
I convince him to do my bidding: no dice
I "cool" my way past the club’s bouncer: no dice
I’d like to make a Manipulation+Command roll: no dice
Role-playing any of the above situations at all: 1 die
Colorful description making use of scenery or the NPCs backstory: 2 dice
Really inspired roleplaying where you emote heavily and/or impress the other players: 3 dice.

Note that a weapon isn’t a stunt in physical conflict, so the tools a PC brings with them aren’t a stunt in social conflict. Meaning that a disguise may add dice to certain Manipulation rolls (the way a sword adds dice to certain Dex and Strength rolls), but it doesn’t restore your legend points. The same goes for flashing your badge, offering someone a drink, etc.

However, the presence of a tool doesn’t prevent stunting, either. Acting out a mannerism (of the person you're disguised as) is probably a 2-die stunt. Flashing your badge at the right moment (vs a foe with a criminal background) could be a stunt. In-character flirting with some NPC is almost certainly a stunt.

So the things we check for are:
Is it cool? Then it’s a stunt, and worth at least one die and a legend.
Does it use some pre-established (or logically improvised) part of the scenery? Then it’s at least a two point stunt, worth 2 legend or 1 willpower.
Is it a memorable moment I’m going to bring up in future conversations about “campaigns in the good old days”? Then it’s a 3-pointer, and worthy of an experience point.

No comments: