Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Expanded Repartee and Reputation Actions

A while back I wrote up some expanded Repartee and Reputation Action rules for my long-term 7th Sea campaign. I have 6 actions worked out: Inquire, Charm, Intimidate, Taunt, Acquaint, and Befriend. Tonight I put them up on this blog. It should be obvious that all are derivative from the rules in 7th Sea, and would not be possible without the efforts and creativity of the fine folks at Alderac Entertainment Group. These 6 actions/rules started from the rules for Intimidation, Taunting and Charming in the 7th Sea Player's Guide, augmented by the Introductions rules from the Montaigne Sourcebook. From there I just kept building it up and refining it.

All are designed to work with the (Like/Dislike/Useful ratings of the) Political system in the Montaigne Sourcebook and/or the (Coins/Cups/Staves/Swords ratings of the) Fateweb system in the Player's Guide and Vodacce sourcebook. You can interchange the two systems (like I did) or pick the one that's better suited to your campaign and characters.

Rules like this don't supplant good role-playing, they augment it. Good acting can be rewarded with Drama Dice, free raises, extra L/D/U or C/C/S/S points, etc. The GM should never let his common sense and flair for the dramatic be over-ruled by these rules. While I wrote up very complicated rules to cover every situation, I tend to apply them very liberally and lightly. The point of the rules is to provide a consistent backbone to the game, not to slow things down or ruin great scenes. They also provides a fall-back "plan b" for those times when the player just can't find the words their witty PC should come to easily. Most happily, they are a decent solution to the problems stemming from an area that is one of my biggest pet-peeves in RPG design.

P.S.: There's a lot of typos and spelling mistakes in these files, and for some reason every instance of CUPS (etc) is capitalized. I never expected them to reach the light of public record when I first wrote them. I may go clean them up later, but for now you just gotta deal with it.

No comments: