Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Modding is Hard

"Tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers" - Tales of Brave Ulysses, by Cream

I could have spent all day yesterday prepping for my Scion Campaign, or applying paint to a canvas, and not at all felt like I was wasting my time. My skills at both are honed enough that my wheels rarely spin in place, and I know how to work past minor blocks.

For modding, it's not the same. When I get done with 8 hours of modding and have but two minor visual jokes to show for it, I feel pretty underwhelmed.
Behold the warships of Troy! Color-curve-altered spaceships with the Trojan condom logo on them.
I spent the whole day yesterday trying to debug a section of programming that absolutely should be working. Everything was going along smoothly till I tried to make mercenary ships add to your crew roster. For some unknown reason, the UVAR codes (user variables) in these quests aren't talking with each other, and/or the haveshiprace CONDITION isn't triggering, so the crew count isn't incrementing. I tried to pinpoint the cause, and then 6 hours vanished in the blink of a debugging eye.

No comments: