Friday, December 21, 2007

Solfjellhytte was lackluster

In retrospect, this was my least favorite stop on in Phase II of the "Short-Bus Spanners" Continuum campaign.

The point of this stop was to create a place where long spanning travelers could have some modern comforts and get away from the stressful catch-as-catch-can of prehistory. I'd considered doing a hidden gallery of all the best works of art that were "lost to the mists of time" but chose a ski-lodge instead. And looking back, I can't imagine why I made the decision to go with this far less compelling location - nothing in the surviving GM's notes explains that decision. I guess it was because my Timelines of History reference book indicates skis date back to 2500 BC in Scandinavia.

I vaguely recall improving a couple of cool things here, but inflicted some lameness as well. A recording of Phantom Menace was in their entertainment system, with a note saying something to the effect of "Warning: Preventing this from being made would Frag us all". I'll let you decide whether that falls in the cool column or the lame one. I think there was also Episodes VII, VIII and IX.

The one good thing I have to say about Solfjellhytte was that it gave me a chance to make each PCs "One Big Score" actually impact the game. We'd had massive differences in PC savings - a few dozen thousand vs over 100 million. Generally, the campaign hadn't involved enough shopping opportunities to make that difference noticeable. But here, being able to drop credit on a few luxuries let the big rollers feel like their money roll mattered.

No comments: