Thursday, November 8, 2007

Side-Effect of Continuum

While I generally love the Continuum RPG, and must acknowledge the impact it's had on my thinking and joke-cracking in my Yet, I have one caveat...

Beware the effect Continuum has on your ability to pace a game. You journal every moment and detail of a characters life in Continuum, so you can span back to moments you'd already experienced, or rather to avoid doing so. But that mode of thinking ruined my next campaign. I had actually temporarily lost the ability to think in the midst of a game "should I just jump ahead to the next important plot point now?"

Everyone loved my Continuum campaign. Everyone (myself included) hated the Amber campaign that followed it. I kept subconsciously trying to keep the players "level" in time, which meant that if one PC was off doing something interesting, everybody else had to live through the doldrums. Even when they were all together, I think I only said "a few days later" once. Instead I smashed the bloody pulps of a plot together into a single loaf and very rarely cut scenes off of it. Sorry about that, guys.

After GMing Continuum, start your next campaign "In Media Res" with the PCs already knowing each other and involved in something big. (I started Scion with a battle sequence.) Then jump ahead to a new scene. Only show the important parts. Don't sweat the details.

No comments: