Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Some elements I really enjoyed

The Rune RPG is a bloody game of viking mayhem. Specifically it's action-packed, horned-helmet-wearing, mead-swilling, Hollywood-inaccuracy-ridden, video-game-stylin', by-the-seat-of-your-pants bloody viking mayhem. It's very different from the style of RPG experience I typically prefer. But I really admire it.


Elements I like in Rune
:

Everyone GMs. You trade around GMing duties in a series of mini-adventures and set-piece encounters. In a standard session, every player will GM for an hour or so. As someone who enjoys GMing and also Playing, this is a big plus for me.

Competitive Roleplaying. Here's an RPG that actually declares a winner for the night. A game were you still need to cooperate with the other players, but you are rewarded for actively striving to one-up them. For Gamists and Social Gamers, there's a lot to love in Rune. Narrativists and Method Actors may not respond so well. I most strongly identify with those later categories, and yet I really enjoyed the game.

Tools for balancing scenarios. Rune has a really solid system for balancing encounters. That system works well for combat and less violent encounters. While it doesn't perfectly match my gaming style, I really have to admire the thought that went into that system. If you've ever had to pull your punches as a GM, or didn't and thus ended up with a TPK (total party kill), it'll be worth your time to read over Rune. Game designers and those who enjoy fiddling with mechanics and house-rules will find it an enjoyable (and thought-provoking) read, too.

They published my adventure. Hey, it doesn't hurt. I really liked those other three elements of the game long before Michelle Brown Nephew offered me a chance to see my work in print. I wrote a fun little adventure with goblinoid used car salesmen and mead-soaked undead, which can be found in Enter the Viking.

Here's some in-depth Rune RPG reviews from other folks:
http://www.ogrecave.com/rune/review.shtml
http://www.ogrecave.com/rune/opposing.shtml
http://www.rpgtimes.net/rpgtimes/article.php?article_id=247&origin=archive

No comments: