Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Amber percentages on my brain

Wow, Jeremy, you really set me off. Okay, off the top of my head, I can name 20 players (Initials to make sure I'm counting right: AC, PL, SW, RB - not me, JM, HS, JL, C?, JD, SR, RL, EJ, EE, SB, LR, RD, AD, A?, GG, CJ) for whom one of my campaigns was their first Amber experience. There may even be more than that, but those are the ones I can think of.

This suggests to me that if you grab 100 random people with no Amber familiarity, and throw them in a campaign:
95 will make characters that have never been to Amber before.
90 will be an orphan or know for certain that at least one parent is dead
85 will choose that they've never knowingly met an Amberite before the first session
75 will play apparent shadowlings who don't know their Amber or Chaos Heritage
70 will take Sorcery and/or Shapeshifting but avoid Pattern and Logrus
60 will play characters taken directly from some other game, movie or TV show
50 will decide the other players are their enemies and try to kill their characters
45 will play a tech-based character despite the game providing no mechanics for it
40 will have Amber Devotees
35 will try to kill another PC no later than the 3rd session
30 will buy a ton of powers and relics they never learn to use
25 will make non-human characters
25 will take an item or follower with "danger sense" so the GM can't surprise them
20 will have Pattern - Only 20% of new players choose pattern at character creation!
15 will have Chaos Devotees
15 will have at least one Star Destroyer orbiting their homeworld
15 will choose to be an Amberite and have their Amberite heritage known publicly
10 will start with Advanced Shapeshifting
10 will have a PC twin
5 will be a Parachuting Narwhal. :)
0 will make a character that knows and loves both of their living (NPC) parents

80 will voice to me that they regret at least one of the decisions within 3 months.
60 of them will make one or more of those same decisions even if the GM says "I've been running Amber for 10 (or 15) years, and I've seen a lot of players do the same things, and I think you'll find you're going to be very unhappy with that decision. Would you please play an Amberite?"

I'm not including throne wars and store events in any of those figures, as that would at least double the count as well as force me to remember details on people I only gamed with for a few hours. Besides, in a Throne War I tend to give a lot fewer options for character creation and mandate every PC be part of the royal family.

No comments: