Friday, November 5, 2021

Wolf and Cat, log 14

    This is the 14th log of my Ironsworn solitaire campaign about Oddi Ice-Chosen. Character background and start of the narrative can be found at: Wolf and Cat, Log 1

Session length varies wildly. Some are multi-hour sessions in open evenings, others are 20-minute diversions over a lunch-break. 

Cast of Characters:

  • Oddi Ice-Chosen, my main PC. Abducted by a Firstborn sorceress as a child, only recently returning to the world of men, motivated by a terrible prophetic vision. Wears an enchanted wolf-skin. Storyweaver and occasional ritual spellcaster.
  • Sammutisel: Oddi's pet Cave Lion. 150 pounds, 4-inch fangs. 
  • Kasju Frystgrotta: The Firstborn sorceress that abducted Oddi and taught him magic.
  • Grassa Bitterloss: Oddi's mother. Recently reunited after 12 years.
  • Emelyn Firetop: Blacksmith. Survivor of the destruction of Oddi's hometown. 
  • Tern: Emelyn's younger brother. Werebear.
  • Myrgun Bitterblad: Oddi's sister. Currently missing in the Shatterwood.
  • Rygar Bitterblad: Oddi and Myrgun's recently deceased father. Grassa's ex-husband.
  • Amolfir: A villager I'd just rescued, who is currently helping my battle against the Shatterwood Broken. He's carrying the hexencollar that transforms the wearer into a bear, but it's evil magic, so he's promised to only put it on if that's the only way to save my life or his. 

Session Log 14:  8/9/2021

I bubble-over with excitement. We've scattered the Broken, avenged our father, come out of it with only minor injuries, and I'm even reunited with my beloved sister who I haven't seen in 2 years and 10. It's easy to set aside the horrible visions the Gloom gave me. They can't be true, this is my kid sister, Myrgun. The great tragedy of my arrival at Despair has transformed into joyous reunion.

"You interfering idiot!" my sister Myrgun shouts as she stomps forward. Did I say joyous? Why is she so mad at me?

Oracles:   Theme: 42: Vengeance   Action: 7: Avenge

Her face is contorted with single-minded rage, and she shoves me hard. I give ground the first time. "Hey! Quit it! It's-" She hits me much harder. "Hey! It's Oddi!"

She's still got a Broken axe in her other hand, and while she hasn't struck with it yet, it's hard to ignore. The bite wound on her face makes her even more intimidating, and she's smeared with blood and war paint from the close-quarters struggle with the chieftess. She's better armored than a Broken, but otherwise, the image is complete. She strikes me a third time,

Face Danger - Heart - Miss!     Endure Harm: Weak Hit  -1 Harm

and knocks me on my ass. I'm dazed for a second. She kicks me while I'm down.Twice.

"Myrgun! Let up! It's Oddi Bitterblad! Your-"

She leans down suddenly, and grabs the empty scabbard at my belt. Father's scabbard. She hefts it in the air and I swear my back just about cracks in half.

"Oddi Bitterblad is dead! You are a changeling! A troll! You thought I wouldn't recognize you this time?"

Clash - Iron - Weak Hit -

I've had enough, and I sweep her leg. Unfortunately, she falls down on top of me, leading with her elbow. The wind is knocked out of me. The axe at least has slipped her hand and bounced a few feet away, so that's a success.

Time to reminder who is the older sibling. I grab a hold of her head, my fingers tangling in her dark brown hair.

Clash - Iron - Miss         Endure Harm:  1 Harm, + Complication from a Matched Miss (Wait for it)

And that's when she really beats the bloody hell out of me. She's damn good, I have to give her that. Fast, precise, stronger than I would have expected. "Where did you put my father's sword, you bloody troll? You lying, cheating, fish-faced monster! Give me my damn sword!" I try to squirm out from under her and slip away, but she keeps her weight on me, and a firm grip with one hand while she pummels me with the other. The gloves she wears are leather, set with rivets. I wonder if they are Emelyn's work.

Compel - Weak Hit  


She barrages me with fists as well as questions about the sword, and I try to prove who I am while I'm still conscious. I recite facts from childhood, but they come out throaty and gasping because of how she has me pinned. "You loved the taste of elderberries, but Grassa wouldn't let you eat them. Your favorite color is dark purple. You had a pet turtle named Kraken." She lets up on the onslaught for just a moment, and we lock eyes.

Her weight shifts, and I can breathe again. "You had a crush on Petri, the Miller's son." Something wet and salty falls on my eye and blurs my vision, and then the fist comes down again, harder than before. Again and again. He must have died this week.

"You killed him!" She shrieks. "You killed them all, Fluugs! The blood is on your hands, you lying murderer!" She slams my head against the hard ground. "Now I fulfill my vow!" Her free arm reaches in the direction where the axe had bounced.

And then she's sailing off me. Before I pass out, I catch a glimpse of the bear that threw her across the courtyard.

Darkness.

I Mark Progress on my Troublesome Vow to Grassa that I would give Myrgun the sword. I don't have it yet, obviously, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to leverage the beating she gave me in later conversations. So it's a form of progress. I just hope I won't be so angry at her by then that I forsake my vow.

I also Mark 2 Failures this session. I'm learning the hard way.

 

 

No comments: