Friday, December 5, 2008

Pleasantly Surprised

The fourth section of the Scion Companion released yesterday. (I think. I noticed and downloaded it at like 2 am.)

Flipping through it, I was quite pleasantly surprised to see my own words in it. My Improvised Weapon System is in there. It's not likely to be a matter of independent parallel invention, like Terrible As The Dawn / Visage Great And Terrible was. I can say that because the system presented there uses the exact same categories, names, and nearly exactly the same stats as my system.

I put that system on the Scion Wiki, and the Scion Forums, because I intend it for other's use. I'm quite pleased and thrilled and honored that they chose to use it. It's work based on their game, and they absolutely have every right to use it.

How neat. I'm on cloud nine.

8 comments:

digital_sextant said...

It's too bad you couldn't get a byline credit. Honor and ethics imply that you should -- the fact that you contributed it to a wiki whose TOS probably demand complete surrender of your IP mean they don't have to, but still.

rbbergstrom said...

Yeah, I'd love to have another book to sign.

Lunatyk said...

You should be in the credits section for that...

SiderisAnon said...

I think you should drop them an e-mail and ask them why you aren't in the credits. Might not do anything, but they might stick you in when they create the errata version (which might include when they finally get around to printing it.)

Just because you surrender the right to let them reprint it by posting to their site does not necessarily remove their responsibility for crediting you.

Oh, and personally, I'd read the TOS to see if you really did surrender your rights.

Lunatyk said...

The Dark Pack rules actually state that whatever is based on White Wolf's property, is their property.

rbbergstrom said...

The Dark Pack rules actually state that whatever is based on White Wolf's property, is their property.

Exactly, so I had no illusions concerning ownership. I put it on a wiki, for cripes sake, so I can't get upset.

Just the same, it would have been nice for them to at least acknowledge it when I commented on their official forum thread about the product.

rbbergstrom said...

Y'know, a few months ago, I was worried about the vagueness of the Dark Pack system, and how it could be taken (erroneously, or so I thought) to make everything ever written about a White Wolf game to now be their IP.

At the time, I thought I was being overly paranoid. Now, I don't know.

I'm tempted to move that Dark Pack logo and legal info into every relevant post, instead of putting it generally across the bottom of the blog. But there's over 150 posts with the Scion tag on this blog, and I don't want to do the work of putting it on all of them.

Lunatyk said...

If I were you I'd just delete it and move it back up after the site gets listed in the fan site section...

and on that note, it would be funny if they'd get sued for owning the Naruto RPG they have listed there...